1. TARGETED TECHNIQUE TRAINING: MARCH 13-16, 2017
ArtisticSTRONG Small Group Training for ages 9+ (2 levels) with Astrid Sherman, Beverley Bagg & Susie Higgins 2.30 – 4.30pm
- “The death of Port de Bras” – Fixing the “smartphone” generation’s forward head & rolled shoulders with upper body work
- “Turn like a Top” – Learn turning tricks from the pros
- “Higher Legs” – Increase you developpe height & extension
- “Jump like a Star” – Dynamic jumping by looking at footwork and strength
For more information
2. MAINTENANCE TRAINING CLASSES: MARCH 20 -23
Designed to maintain stamina, strength, flexibility and technical achievement especially for those students who have upcoming examinations or performances.
Ages 9+ (Jnr Adv/Inter Found & Inter/Adv), 10.00am – 2.30pm
- Ballet Technique
- Dance Conditioning & Flexibilty
- Contemporary Technique
Program Faculty:Tania Brossoit (RAD Ambassador), Stephana Arnold (National Ballet/ Les Grands Ballets/Ballet BC), Alisha Ahmadi (Pro Arte Graduate, Rambert Ballet School BSC), Susie Higgins (Pro Arte Dance Conditioning/Pilates specialist)
For more information
Pro Arte Half Day Pre-Professional students take Iyengar yoga every 2nd week with Pro Arte’s Yoga Instructor & Nutritionist, Dhana Musil. Today, our Intermediate group did a walking meditation to the river (no speaking) and yoga riverside.
We at Pro Arte feel that the Iyenga philosophy is a wonderful fit with serious dance training for the following of reasons:
- Their teachers are very carefully trained and thus we can be assured and confident when handing over our precious young ballet dancers: Iyengar yoga is one of the few yoga disciplines requiring a minimum of five years of training, the last 3-5 focused directly on the certification process and assessment. The average length of time before certification is eight years because at least two years of study at an advanced level is required before being accepted into the teacher training program. Candidates for certification undergo an assessment process which includes recommendations by mentoring teachers, a review of study and teaching experience, and a comprehensive three part examination.
- The Iyengar style of teaching is marked by precision of alignment in the body, just as classical ballet.
- In addition, Iyengar Yoga is both an art and a science and is at the forefront of research on its use with medical conditions and injuries. Stability, mobility, strength and alignment are combined with the concepts of relaxation and restoration of the nervous system.
Last 2 weeks at Pro Arte’s Summer Intensive!
Guest teachers and choreographers the next two weeks include master teachers/choreographers Charla Genn (Juillard NY) and Alex Ossadnik (Ballet Master, Ballet Idaho); and Mark Dennis (National Ballet/Alberta Ballet/West Australian Ballet/Northern Ballet).
Earlier weeks saw guest classes with Aram Manukyan (Alberta Ballet School/Alberta Ballet 2), and with Pro Arte grads Raquel Lanziner (Independent Artist Montreal), Allison McDonald (Ailey School/Philidanco Dance Company) & Kara Chan (4th yr Juilliard).
All Pro Arte Pre-Professional students in Pre-Intermediate/Intermediate/Advanced Programs are having dance physio screenings and conditioning analysis with Physiotherapist Erika Mayall (M.P.T, HBSc (kin) and Susie Higgins (Pilates instructor who is a non-practising physiotherapist from the UK) who are working in close tandem with our teachers.
Young dancers are very susceptible to injury during the growth spurt years and, as related by a orthopaedic surgeon for the Royal Ballet at the Birmingham International Association for Dance and Science conference – “all injuries can ultimately be traced to poor technique or wrong bio-mechanics.” Correct muscle recruitment patterns, muscle balance, working within an individual’s genetic range must all be carefully guided by the dance teacher and monitored by a dance physiotherapist. The dance conditioning specialist can assist with corrective and strengthening exercises and be an additional “eye” to recognise misalignment and poor recruitment patterns.
Students need to be encouraged how to “think” and not just “do” when they dance! Short cuts lead to short careers and injuries that will hamper your young dancer into their adult years.
Pre-Professional Training Programs
Classical Ballet Training Program (CBM)
Contemporary Ballet Program (CaBM)
Jazz & Contemporary Program (JCM)
WHEN: Saturday 1st June (and Saturday 24th August – Private auditions for new students may also be arranged)
Advanced Programs: 10.00 – 11.30am
- Must be Age 15+ and have completed the Intermediate Ballet RAD/ISTD or equivalent training
- CBM and CoBm candidates must bring pointe shoes
Pre-Intermediate & Intermediate Programs: 11.30 – 1.00pm
- Must have completed Grade 5 Ballet RAD/ISTD or equivalent training
- CBM and CoBM candidates must bring pointe shoes
Junior Advanced Programs: 1.30 – 2.30pm
- Must have completed Grade 3 Ballet 1.00pm RAD/ISTD or equivalent training
Junior Programs: 2.30 – 3.30pm
- Must have completed Grade 1 Ballet RAD/ISTD or equivalent training
CatchingART Contemporary Ballet Theatre
Pro Arte’s scholarship aspirant company
MOVED – now Friday 7th JUNE: 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Students must have Advanced 2 level classical training and be ages 16-18
- Students are required to learn & demonstrate a Classical Pointe and a Contemporary choreography in the audition.
Competitive Programs: Acrobatics, Tap, Musical Theatre & Stage
- Junior Competitive Musical Theatre & Stage: tba
- Senior Competitive Musical Theatre & Stage: tba
- Competitive Acrobatics: Tuesday 25th June 7.15 – 8.15pm
- Competitive Tap: tba
With Ms Kim and Ms Jenny
Dates: Mon – Thurs March 25th – 28th
Fees: $25 per class or $40 per day
or 4 days for $150
not including taxes
Spruce Up Spring Break Registration Form PDF
Registration deadline: Saturday March 15th
Grades 4 – Intermediate:
9.30 – 11.00 Ballet Technique
1.00 – 11.15 Break
11.15 – 12.45 Contemporary
Grades 2 & 3:
9.30 – 11.00 Intro to Contemporary
1.00 – 11.15 Break
11.15 – 12.45 Ballet Technique
Featuring the students of our Pre-Professional Training Programs which focus in Classical Ballet or Jazz & Contemporary. Our young students have been chosen as BC provincial representatives for dance, have won many international titles, and graduates have gone on to international programs & companies.
Where: Kay Meek Theatre, West Vancouver
When: Saturday 23 Feb; 7.30pm
Pro Arte centre is honoured to host Stephanie Saland, a leading ballerina for Balanchine’s NYCB, this weekend – Jan 19th/20th.
Stephanie Saland brings a wealth of experience, knowledge and care and will be teaching classes and coaching repertoire.
Along with Pro Arte resident physiotherapist, Erika Mayall, Ms Astrid is just returning from Singapore.
They were invited to present at the International Association for Dance Medicine & Science’s 2012 Conference.
Both are excited to share all the latest and current research in dance science that can make our dancers stronger but safer after spending the last 4 days with all the leaders in this field.
Pro Arte Pre Professional students were very fortunate to have Beverley Bagg (ex-Principal PACT Ballet now Alberta Ballet – ballet mistress) and Stephanie Saland (ex-Principal New York City Ballet) for intensive coaching this summer.
These two wonderful talented woman shared their knowledge, experience and passion for ballet with our lucky aspiring students.
Students gained not only feedback on classical technique, but on self-care, motivation, work ethic and the joy of dance!