Pro Arté Centre is very proud to present a venture that celebrates instruction in jazz, lyrical, contemporary, hip hop, tap and acrobatics. NEW for the 2018-19 dance year, the Industry Stream offers world-class instruction and competitive opportunities in these dance disciplines that can lead to performance as stage dancers, in music videos, careers on cruise ships and shows.
Led by faculty who are dance and choreographic professionals in the industry, the program embraces the Pro Arté core values of excellence in instruction and professional, respectful and engaging instruction. Montana Moore, Rosie Lewis and Sophia Curalli, graduates of the Pro Arté Centre professional programs, along with Ashara Xirkovia and Leah Kos bring strong technical training skills blended with the latest trends in commercial dance. Students in the program will work on up-to-date, current skills and moves that are TODAY’S industry standards.
The program is offered for different age groups from ages 7 through 18 with a 5-hour commitment per week (4 hours of technique and 1 hour of choreography). Students can participate in additional groups by adding the supporting technique class. Monthly workshops are also available that cover topics like: how to prepare for an audition and opportunities in the commercial dance market. Community performances are also an optional add-on.
A free Introduction to the Industry Stream featuring jazz, lyrical, hip hop and contemporary will be held on August 29, 2018 from 1:00-3:00. An additional workshop will be held on Saturday, September 8th followed by auditions for these program. Stay tuned for additional workshops being planned for acrobatics and tap introductions.
For more information on participating in the Industry Stream at Pro Arte and to register for the free Workshops on August 29th including the audition on September 8th, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org OR register online at: https://proartecentre.com/registration/industry-stream-workshop/
All levels of dance instruction at Pro Arté are supported by the latest in dance and sport science. Astrid Sherman, who is on the Education Committee for the International Association of Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS), recently returned from South Africa where she organized, and lectured at, regional meetings for dance teachers and professionals in both cities of Johannesburg and Cape Town as well as the internationally renowned Joburg Ballet Company and the Cape Academy of Performing Arts, one of the foremost training institutions in South Africa.
This October, Ms. Astrid will be presenting with Erika Mayall (MPT, HBSc(Kin), CAFCI, FCAMPT) at the Healthy Dancer Canada Conference in Toronto. Pro Arté is unique in having an on-site physiotherapy office with registered physiotherapist, Ms. Erika, who trained in ballet under Astrid Sherman as a student as well as a well-equipped Pilates Studio. Ms. Astrid, Ms. Erika and a team of highly trained, professional dance educators work together to create the optimal training environment for the emerging professional as well as the youngest of students in their very first dance experience.
Pro Arté’s commitment is to be on the leading edge in implementing the best of training that allows each student to safely excel. Ms. Astrid, Ms. Erika and the faculty at the Centre are leaders in working with high performance dancers wishing to prevent injuries or for any student who is in recovery from impairment stemming from injury or poor training habits. Pro Arte is proud to be committed to a holistic approach to teaching dance and using the most recent updated science to create healthier and stronger dancers of tomorrow.
Pro Arté Centre is proud to announce the new Half-Day Accelerated Program. Celebrating each student that has the desire to reach for excellence, this program provides training that is committed to ensuring that every student reaches their fullest potential. With a team of faculty that are dedicated to helping dancers attain their goals and dreams, students in this program can explore the rich diversity of dance that will prepare them for whatever their future brings.
Come … be a part of a community that has been successful in equipping dancers to live their ambitions and explore their passions. We invite you to learn more about this program and discover how Pro Arté can help you achieve your dreams. Contact us at: email@example.com.
The 2018-19 dance year at Pro Arté will see an enhanced acrobatics program the includes training in Aerial Hoop. Contortion, balance, tumbling and dance elements are combined to form the most comprehensive and exciting acrobatics program ever!
Students who dream of the possibility of being a part of the world-famous Cirque Du SoleiI are a perfect fit for this program.
Are you a gymnast? Do you want to further develop your skills and enrich your gymnastic routines? This program would be perfect for you as well.
But … perhaps you’re a dancer that just wants to have fun — and learn new skills in a supportive environment that is committed to the best of teaching and training. Students are welcome to participate in an acrobatics class without committing to the competitive program.
We invite you to learn more about acrobatics training at Pro Arté — contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come and be a part of this sensational new program!
Pro Arte Centre is proud to be the home of CatchingART Contemporary Ballet Theatre – A Semi-Professional Company that launches dancers into the professional world of dance.
The company experience is designed for Classical & Contemporary Ballet dancers ages 18 – 25 who teach/study/work in the afternoon and evening. It can also be used as a supplement to the intensive Advanced + Protégé Training at Pro Arte Centre. Artists in this program are cultivating an artist’s CV that will position them for placement in companies around the world.
CatchingART performs regularly with the Lions Gate Sinfonia, the Vancouver Metropolitan Orchestra, Pandoras Vox and Yarilo Music among other professional and community groups. As well, new in the 2018-19 year, the Season includes a series of performances celebrating life on the North Shore in, “Roots of the Community.” These performances will honour the diversity and vibrancy found our own neighbourhood.
More information about CatchingART, an audition application and how you can bring CatchingART to your community can be found on their website at www.catchingart.ca.
Pro Arte Centre is thrilled to be represented across the Lower Mainland at Canada Day Celebrations today!
Already at 8am this morning, Dr. Gina Oh, Pro Arte Centre’s new partner in serving the performing arts community was setting up at CANADA DAY IN PITT MEADOWS
in Spirit Square. Wear red or white and come celebrate Canada Day in Pitt Meadows at Spirit Square with non-stop activities from 8am-2pm.
Don’t forget to come out and support Pro Arte at North Vancouver’s Canada Day Celebration at Waterfront Park. For the 15th year, we are proud to be a part of this community celebration. Join us this afternoon as we mark this great Nation’s “birthday!
Pro Arté Centre is pleased to announce a partnership with Dr. Gina Oh Studios beginning with the 2018-19 Dance Year.
Vancouver born soprano, Dr. Gina Oh is ranked top voice teacher in the tri-cities area 5 years in a row. She has been honored as one of the most influential Korean Women of The World of 2008. Gina completed her doctoral studies in Voice Performance in French at l’Université de Montréal; her master’s degree from the New England Conservatory in Boston and her bachelor’s degree from UBC. Gina shares her valuable time pursuing a high level of music outreach by way of teaching premium technique and creating performing opportunities. With voice students represented at BC Arts Provincials for the past 10 years, Gina is passionate about inspiring others and building community through music.
With classes in Musical Theatre and Choirs along with private vocal training, Pro Arté is excited to be associated with Dr. Gina Oh and these outstanding offerings that provide even more diversity of excellence in training at the Centre.
For more information: Gina Oh – Course Descriptions
For questions or to register contact: email@example.com
Pro Arte Centre is proud to host our Annual Open House/Parent Viewing Week! The week of June 25 – 30, 2018, the Centre holds a number of classes that are open to try by our students as well as friends and those who are interested in seeing what is happening at the Centre! Half-Day, Ballet, Modern, Contemporary, Jazz, Tap, Acro, Hip Hop … it’s all there for students to try! If you’re not sure what class fits for you, just ask us — email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Come and join us for one — two — or even more classes!
Here is the schedule for the week:
Looking forward to seeing you next week!
Pro Arte Centre is proud to present an incredible line-up of dedicated and talented faculty who will be working with the students at the Centre this next year. Representing an incredible breadth and depth of professional experiences, certification and accreditation with renown international dance bodies (ISTD, RAD, IADMS, Vaganova, Cecchetti) as well as commercial experience, the team will bring the best of training to the diverse program offerings at Pro Arte.
Let us introduce them:
Ms. Astrid Sherman, Artistic Director
- A Fellow of the ISTD Imperial Ballet, Associate in Modern Theatre and Tap, Ms. Astrid’s background as a professional dancer in both a classical ballet setting as well as stage and musical theatre productions provides this community with an artistic direction that understands the importance of the commitment to a strong technique foundation for any work in the professional field. A member of the Education Committee of IADMS (International Association of Dance Medicine and Science – the leading body internationally for research in the field), Ms. Astrid has presented papers and case studies based on work in dance science and injury prevention/recovery along with Ms. Erika and Ms. Susie in both IADMS international conferences as well as Healthy Dancer Canada. Her choreography has gained international recognition and she frequently is commissioned to develop work for dancers, in particular, in settings that are collaborations with other leading arts and music organizations. Ms. Astrid’s work with students for over two decades has seen these artists become professional dancers and choreographers across Canada, North America and Europe. Her passion is to see the next generation of dancers take their place in the future of dance. Ms. Astrid is excited to be back in the Studio, working hands-on and mentoring young dancers.
Ms. Beverly Bagg
- Ms. Bev has performed almost every principal ballerina role in classical ballet and has worked with legendary choreographers world-wide in her professional career. She has been Ballet Mistress for Ballet BC, Alberta Ballet and continues to teach weekly at Ballet BC and guest teaches at leading dance companies across North America. A wonderful resource for our students planning to embark on a professional career, Ms. Bev looks forward to investing more of her energy, time, passion and talent in students at Pro Arte in this coming year as she is limiting her work to Pro Arte Centre, Modus Operandi (grad program) and Ballet BC.
Ms. Jocelyn Wozencroft ARAD, BA(Hons) RAD RTS
- Ms. Jocelyn holds one of the highest standard in teaching with the Royal Academy of Dance and is also an RAD Mentor. Also coming from a professional performance background, she has taught students to the highest standard, coached students to the BC Provincials on many occasions (2 students this year), taken dancers to the Genees and has mentored students to top post secondary programs and professional ballet companies. Ms. Jocelyn has a wealth of experience and expertise in working with students of all ages and is eager to transition to work at Pro Arte Centre starting this year.
Ms. Yana Dragueiva BA
- Ms. Yana continues to be an asset to the students at Pro Arte. With her background in classical pedagogy and character and training in Vaganova and RAD, she adds much to enrich the training of students.
Ms. Sophia Curalli AISTD (Imperial Ballet) AISTD Dip (Modern) ARAD BBA(ip)
- Well known in this community for her work in ballet syllabus training and choreography, Ms. Sophia, trained by Ms. Astrid, is also an Associate Diploma in Modern Theatre and is excited to work more with the students at Pro Arte. She is also a frequent vocal performer with Pandora’s Vox “Espiritu” and also a seasoned professional performing with Theatre Under the Stars beginning in 2015.
Ms. Dawn Rodel
- A new advocate for the very youngest of our students, Ms. Dawn will be focusing her attention on our pre-junior (Level 1) program. With a background in Ceccetti and RAD and a strong commitment to good technique but an understanding that those starting in dance training need to have a good balance between training and “fun,” she is well suited to build this program and educate the “beginner parent” on the ins and outs of the dance “world.” With a diversity of experience in the local and international festival/competitive world, we look forward to seeing these young dancers have a fabulous 2018-19 year!
Ms. Montana Moore BA
- A graduate of Pro Arte, Ms. Montana has a depth of knowledge in strong dance technique that has been the basis for her work in the commercial dance field. A frequent performer in commercial and film work and performances and represented by Da Costa Talent Agency, Ms. Montana brings the latest in jazz-funk, contemporary-jazz, lyrical and hip hop and will be continuing to bring her experience to the Pro Arte competitive program.
Ms. Rosie Lewis
- A human kinetics student, Ms. Rosie, a Pro Arte graduate, has further trained in the Intensive Training Program at Harbour and the UBC Dance Team where she both performed and choreographed works in addition to working with the UBC Cheer Team. With her background in kinesiology and a CSEP CPT (certified personal trainer), Ms. Rosie is be a keen advocate for body awareness and safe technique in her work with Pro Arte students in contemporary, jazz and lyrical.
Ms. Leah Kos SDTA-Associates, BA, BED, BCDEA
- Ms. Leah is an accomplished tap teacher who has extensive experience as a performing arts teacher and choreographer who has mentored students from the beginning levels through to those performing at BC Arts Provincials. With experience as a Co-Artistic Director and Choreographer of a youth company on Vancouver Island, Ms. Leah has toured groups through Los Angeles, New York as well as Island and Lower Mainland events and performances. She is eager to “step up” the tap program at Pro Arte in this coming year and provide competitive opportunities to students.
Ms. Ashara X
- Ms. Ashara is a circus performer who specializes in aerial hoop, and is also known to sing as she flies, contorts and balances in the air. With a background in gymantics, figure skating and cheerleading, Ms. Ashara was trained at Misa a Niveau in the art of the aeriel hoop. A seasoned acrobatics instructor, Ms. Ashara’s passion is to build the acrobatics/aeriel program at Pro Arte Centre and she is looking forward to bringing her experience and expertise to this community.
Stay tuned for more information about our Fall Sessional/Workshop Faculty who will be joining the community to share their expertise and experience in the professional contemporary/modern dance world.
We look forward to welcoming you to Pro Arte Centre this Summer and Fall!
Beginning in September, 2018, there is a new addition to the Programs at Pro Arte Centre. Launched with limited student enrollment capacity, the Pro Arte Protégé Program is a Half-Day Program for students who want to focus on independent intensive classical & contemporary ballet training. This technique intensive program is designed to maximize the success of the individual student in the international scene.
Faculty in this program are Astrid Sherman, Beverley Bagg, Yana Draguieva & Jocelyn Wozencroft (RAD) and various Contemporary/Contemporary Ballet ex Ballet BC dancers and choreographers supported by On-Site Physiotherapist Erika Mayall & On-site Pilates Conditioning Specialist Susie Higgins.
- Training hours may be done with a commitment to full program training (minimum 20 hour training week is recommended for success) or on a drop-in basis (charges per class are higher). Class size is limited to 7-9 students in each level and preference will be given to those taking the full program.
- Students may select to participate in competitive groups, but these are additional charges and hours and are not mandatory.
- We do recommend that students take additional examination credit classes in the RAD and ISTD methods.
- Students may perform solos at any festivals/competitions with Pro Arte approval and administration. We do, however, recommend no more than 3 competitions during a training year and that consideration is given to the science for the best training cycle (we want to optimize the peaks and avoid the dips). We also advise that students attend the competitions where Pro Arte Faculty can supply support coaching. However, parents may take the initiative with Pro Arte approval to participate in festivals at which Pro Arte faculty will not be present.
- Students may have outside choreographers with approval from Pro Arte – rehearsals will be arranged at Pro Arte studios. Pro Arte does have a recommended list of industry-recognized choreographers.
This program is by application only and preference will be given to dedicated, focused and determined students.
Note: This program will close to new applications when enrollment has been filled.
Complete your application interest here: Protege Interest Application