Pro Arte Centre is proud to present an incredible line-up of dedicated and talented faculty who will be working with the students at the Centre this next year. Representing an incredible breadth and depth of professional experiences, certification and accreditation with renown international dance bodies (ISTD, RAD, IADMS, Vaganova, Cecchetti) as well as commercial experience, the team will bring the best of training to the diverse program offerings at Pro Arte.
Let us introduce them:
Ms. Astrid Sherman, Artistic Director
- A Fellow of the ISTD Imperial Ballet, Associate in Modern Theatre and Tap, Ms. Astrid’s background as a professional dancer in both a classical ballet setting as well as stage and musical theatre productions provides this community with an artistic direction that understands the importance of the commitment to a strong technique foundation for any work in the professional field. A member of the Education Committee of IADMS (International Association of Dance Medicine and Science – the leading body internationally for research in the field), Ms. Astrid has presented papers and case studies based on work in dance science and injury prevention/recovery along with Ms. Erika and Ms. Susie in both IADMS international conferences as well as Healthy Dancer Canada. Her choreography has gained international recognition and she frequently is commissioned to develop work for dancers, in particular, in settings that are collaborations with other leading arts and music organizations. Ms. Astrid’s work with students for over two decades has seen these artists become professional dancers and choreographers across Canada, North America and Europe. Her passion is to see the next generation of dancers take their place in the future of dance. Ms. Astrid is excited to be back in the Studio, working hands-on and mentoring young dancers.
Ms. Beverly Bagg
- Ms. Bev has performed almost every principal ballerina role in classical ballet and has worked with legendary choreographers world-wide in her professional career. She has been Ballet Mistress for Ballet BC, Alberta Ballet and continues to teach weekly at Ballet BC and guest teaches at leading dance companies across North America. A wonderful resource for our students planning to embark on a professional career, Ms. Bev looks forward to investing more of her energy, time, passion and talent in students at Pro Arte in this coming year as she is limiting her work to Pro Arte Centre, Modus Operandi (grad program) and Ballet BC.
Ms. Jocelyn Wozencroft ARAD, BA(Hons) RAD RTS
- Ms. Jocelyn holds one of the highest standard in teaching with the Royal Academy of Dance and is also an RAD Mentor. Also coming from a professional performance background, she has taught students to the highest standard, coached students to the BC Provincials on many occasions (2 students this year), taken dancers to the Genees and has mentored students to top post secondary programs and professional ballet companies. Ms. Jocelyn has a wealth of experience and expertise in working with students of all ages and is eager to transition to work at Pro Arte Centre starting this year.
Ms. Yana Dragueiva BA
- Ms. Yana continues to be an asset to the students at Pro Arte. With her background in classical pedagogy and character and training in Vaganova and RAD, she adds much to enrich the training of students.
Ms. Sophia Curalli AISTD (Imperial Ballet) AISTD Dip (Modern) ARAD BBA(ip)
- Well known in this community for her work in ballet syllabus training and choreography, Ms. Sophia, trained by Ms. Astrid, is also an Associate Diploma in Modern Theatre and is excited to work more with the students at Pro Arte. She is also a frequent vocal performer with Pandora’s Vox “Espiritu” and also a seasoned professional performing with Theatre Under the Stars beginning in 2015.
Ms. Dawn Rodel
- A new advocate for the very youngest of our students, Ms. Dawn will be focusing her attention on our pre-junior (Level 1) program. With a background in Ceccetti and RAD and a strong commitment to good technique but an understanding that those starting in dance training need to have a good balance between training and “fun,” she is well suited to build this program and educate the “beginner parent” on the ins and outs of the dance “world.” With a diversity of experience in the local and international festival/competitive world, we look forward to seeing these young dancers have a fabulous 2018-19 year!
Ms. Montana Moore BA
- A graduate of Pro Arte, Ms. Montana has a depth of knowledge in strong dance technique that has been the basis for her work in the commercial dance field. A frequent performer in commercial and film work and performances and represented by Da Costa Talent Agency, Ms. Montana brings the latest in jazz-funk, contemporary-jazz, lyrical and hip hop and will be continuing to bring her experience to the Pro Arte competitive program.
Ms. Rosie Lewis
- A human kinetics student, Ms. Rosie, a Pro Arte graduate, has further trained in the Intensive Training Program at Harbour and the UBC Dance Team where she both performed and choreographed works in addition to working with the UBC Cheer Team. With her background in kinesiology and a CSEP CPT (certified personal trainer), Ms. Rosie is be a keen advocate for body awareness and safe technique in her work with Pro Arte students in contemporary, jazz and lyrical.
Ms. Leah Kos SDTA-Associates, BA, BED, BCDEA
- Ms. Leah is an accomplished tap teacher who has extensive experience as a performing arts teacher and choreographer who has mentored students from the beginning levels through to those performing at BC Arts Provincials. With experience as a Co-Artistic Director and Choreographer of a youth company on Vancouver Island, Ms. Leah has toured groups through Los Angeles, New York as well as Island and Lower Mainland events and performances. She is eager to “step up” the tap program at Pro Arte in this coming year and provide competitive opportunities to students.
Ms. Ashara X
- Ms. Ashara is a circus performer who specializes in aerial hoop, and is also known to sing as she flies, contorts and balances in the air. With a background in gymantics, figure skating and cheerleading, Ms. Ashara was trained at Misa a Niveau in the art of the aeriel hoop. A seasoned acrobatics instructor, Ms. Ashara’s passion is to build the acrobatics/aeriel program at Pro Arte Centre and she is looking forward to bringing her experience and expertise to this community.
Stay tuned for more information about our Fall Sessional/Workshop Faculty who will be joining the community to share their expertise and experience in the professional contemporary/modern dance world.
We look forward to welcoming you to Pro Arte Centre this Summer and Fall!