“Pearls” from Pro Arte: Dance Educator and Artistic Director, Astrid Sherman on her top 5 benefits of dance training for young children
I frequently get asked by parents: “So — why should I enroll my child in dance? She/he is already doing a lot of other activities. Isn’t that enough?”
Good question — that needs a great answer — and here are my top 5!
There are many physical, social developmental & artistic benefits that are inspired from dance training , but my favourite 5 are:
- Sparks imagination — creativity and “outside the box thinking” is essential for success — personal, academic and professional
- Positive commitment to healthy living — creating a positive, lifelong attitude to staying physically active
- Build social skills — group choreography fosters teamwork, communication, trust, confidence and cooperation
- Develop positive habits — dance inspires life skills such as discipline, tenacity and commitment
- Shape beneficial physical aptitude — establish good posture which encourages spine health for healthy aging
Enroll your child in a dance class today. The lessons learnt will enhance a lifetime!
Picture Credits: Sophie Higgins age 7, now with CatchingART and working towards her Advanced 2 RAD & ISTD Ballet examinations, photographed by Leighton Matthews